Pages

Saturday, March 23, 2013

~Our feathered Friends~

With the return of Spring, so comes the return of our Feathered friends in the garden. I enjoy watching them as much as I enjoy watching the flowers grow and bloom. Hummingbirds are one of my favorites. I love watching them feed from the feeders, as well as from the plants themselves. Trying to capture a hummingbird via digital camera, can be an almost impossible task, but I never give up. LOL This year I will be adding more hummingbird feeders. I only had one out last year, thinking that would be enough what with the different flowers in the garden, but it wasn't. They were all fighting over it. There was one couple of hummingbirds, that had came first, and it was THEIR feeder, and the male would chase the rest of them off. So this year, since they can't share, I will be adding more. 

Is the hummingbird one of your totems? In this link it tells of the ways Hummingbirds can come into our lives as one of our totem animals as we need them. 

http://www.hummingbirdworld.com/h/totem.htm 

One year we had to save a hummingbird. It had gotten too close to the windows and knocked himself out. My sister was visiting from back east then. We were both very sad, the poor thing looked to be dead or dying. We scooped him up and brought him inside, wondering what to do with him. He had apparently only just knocked himself out, because it wasn't long before he was up and humming all over the house :-/ My brother-in-law managed to capture him safely in his hat, and return him to the outdoors where he flew off immediately into the sky. But later came back again to get some of the sweet nectar from the feeder. 

   Another one of my favorite Garden friends are these brightly colored wild canary's. They love the sunflower seeds, and will always be out there singing away in the summer time. Here is a link to the canary totem. While, I do not feel that the canary is a part of my totem, I do like to see them in the gardens. 

http://www.linsdomain.com/totems/pages/canary.htm 

Canary brings beautiful song and voice to a persons life where they are in their totem. 

The Owl is another powerful totem to have. We have had this Grey Horned Owl living by our house for a few years now. My son is always out looking for him, and he often times sits in the tree behind our house hooting away. Especially in the evenings. 

I am always out trying to capture him on film. The owl symbolizes different things to different people. In Native cultures around where we live, they do not like owls at all. My son has a friend who is terrified of Owls, and says that it means death to someone in his family if they see them. While I know that the Owl can and does symbolize the darker sides of the spirit worlds to some, I like to look at him for the wisdom that he brings.

Here is a link to the Owl totem: 
http://www.linsdomain.com/totems/pages/owl.htm 

Our grey horned owl is indeed the harbinger of Spring and a protector of our home~

 

No comments:

Post a Comment