Pages

Saturday, March 9, 2013

~Spring Forward~

There are all sorts of reminders going around today, to spring your clocks forward, tonite. I set mine forward yesterday and have been mentally trying to prepare all weekend for it. This is a hard one for me. Growing up we lived in an area, that never changed time, so springing forward and falling back, haven't been things I've had to do my whole life. But I have been doing for the past 15-20 years or so....so you would *think* I would be somewhat use to it by now ;-)

I don't mind falling back in the fall at all. That one doesn't take much getting use to. My grumblings about it these past few weeks in anticipation, has gotten me scolded from many people. I realize a lot of people look forward to it. The longer days, longer daylight hours...etc...I just can't wrap my mind around the fact that the days are longer. The daylight hours have been getting longer, since Yule...hello? I know I may look at it wrong, but I just can't ever help but feel that I am being robbed of an hour a day. Life passes us by so quickly anyway, that to lose that many hours in the 8 month period just doesn't seem fair. 

And it use to be more equally done. It use to be 6 months of falling back, instead of the 4. Who decides these things?

I have been contemplating a freezing time spell for some time now. I haven't actually gotten it all worked out yet. Slowing time, maybe is what I mean to do, but not knowing exactly when or how to go about it, I haven't actually set any of it into motion yet.

But some other thoughts I have been having { not that anyone will listen or care.} is that I think Daylight savings, should be done, during the Summer solstice. If we are going to spring forward, I think we should spring forward, on the summer solstice, when we actually DO start losing bits of daylight, to prolong the daylight hours. Then, during Yule, when we really do start gaining again...THEN fall back and enjoy some of the longer daylight hours. It's an equal time, and my inner clock, could adjust better.

Yes, I know its not about me, or my inner clock....But these are my wishes, for daylight savings. ha!

Do other parents not have problems with this springing forward? Not just the getting up to get the kids off to school. But with the longer daylight hours in the evenings, these next few months with the weather breaking, the kids are chomping at the bit for school to be out. It's nice outside, so they are running and playing outside after school. And so when 8 o'clock rolls around, and it's more than past time to come INSIDE, get HOMEWORK DONE, get baths, eat supper..and *gasp* go to bed, and it isn't even DARK out yet..."MOM are you kidding ME?" It's hard to wrangle their little butts into bed, then to sleep so by the time the alarm clock goes off the next morning...and it's still dark out...WHO wants to get up?! :-/ 

I didn't actually intend for this to be a rant about Daylight savings. ha! But, that is more or less what it is.      

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way. My hubs has been laughing at me every since time change because I keep ranting the same things.

    ReplyDelete