Pages

Friday, March 29, 2013

~Rainbow Magick~

As you might have guessed by now, I love taking pictures. I take pictures, of just about everything. I also like adding magic to my everday life, so I try to find magic, somewhere everyday. What spells magic better than a rainbow? I cannot look at a rainbow, even today without some child like wonder. It excites me, makes me smile, and who can be in a bad mood, when looking at a rainbow?


Growing up in the midwest, of course I seen rainbows. Once in awhile, after the rain, but they were a rare phenomenon. Always delightful, but rare. Since I have moved out west, I have seen SO MANY beautiful rainbows, it delights my inner child. Growing up back east, I remember MAYBE seeing a rainbow...IF the rain stopped and the sun came out. But living out west, where the rains are fewer, and come in short sporatic bursts, there is practically a rainbow after EVERY rain...I. LOVE. THAT.!!! I don't always get their pictures, but it's not for lack of trying ;-) 





The rainbow has been a phenomenon in history and cultures since practically the beginning of time. We may now, scientifically understand what makes a rainbow happen, but the mythology around rainbows is extensive to just about every culture.

  In Greco-Roman mythology, the rainbow was considered to be a path made by a messenger (Iris) between Earth and Heaven.


In Chinese mythology, the rainbow was a slit in the sky sealed by goddess Nüwa using stones of five different colours.

In Hindu religion, the rainbow is called Indradhanush, meaning "the bow (Sanskrit and Hindi: dhanush is bow) of Indra, the god of lightning, thunder and rain". Another Indian mythology says the rainbow is the bow of Rama, the incarnation of Vishnu. It is called Rangdhonu in Bengali, dhonu (dhanush) meaning bow. Likewise, in mythology of Arabian Peninsula, the rainbow, called Qaus Quzaħ in Arabic, is the war bow of the god Quzaħ.

In Armenian mythology the rainbow is a belt of Tir, a Sun god.

In Norse Mythology, a rainbow called the Bifröst Bridge connects the realms of Ásgard and Midgard, homes of the gods and humans, respectively

The Irish leprechaun's secret hiding place for his pot of gold is usually said to be at the end of the rainbow. 

Another ancient portrayal of the rainbow is given in the Epic of Gilgamesh: the rainbow is the "jewelled necklace of the Great Mother Ishtar" that she lifts into the sky as a promise that she "will never forget these days of the great flood" that destroyed her children. (The Epic of Gilgamesh, Tablet Eleven)
Then Ishtar arrived. She lifted up the necklace of great jewels that her father, Anu, had created to please her and said, "Heavenly gods, as surely as this jewelled necklace hangs upon my neck, I will never forget these days of the great flood. Let all of the gods except Enlil come to the offering. Enlil may not come, for without reason he brought forth the flood that destroyed my people."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbows_in_culture

It is said that the Unicorns horn makes rainbows, and that Unicorns breathe rainbows.

 
  The seven colors of the rainbow are: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo & Violet. A powerful sheilding tool I learned many moons ago consists of surrounding yourself in the 7 layers of the rainbow, encircling oneself with the magickal colors and aspects of the rainbow. Starting with Violet first, and working your way out. This filters out all the bad things, through the 7 layers and when the good finally gets to you, it is only the good things that you need. You can also turn this sheild outwards as well, to radiate the colors and meanings from your aura to surround yourself and those around you, in the radiant energies of the rainbow.





My favorite episodes of the 'Smurfs' when I was a kid, were the ones when the rainbow brought the flying pegasus/unicorn to the smurf village...How I wanted to ride on that pegasus down through the rainbow, so MUCH! lol I still think of those, whenever I see a rainbow...

But regardless, if you see a rainbow this spring, or summer after a spring shower, or summer Thunderstorm....think of the magick, and if nothing else, just bask in it's glory and surround yourself with its healing energies and colors.

)0( ~ Blessed Be & Much Rainbow Magicks to you! )0( 

No comments:

Post a Comment